Erg Chebbi is a dune field of about 22 Km from north to south and about 5 Km from east to west at the widest point. The highest dune, 884 m, is in the north. Among the dunes there are several oasis and you can easily get water just by digging a little. The trip to the oasis starts with a long route by road which is an experience itself geographically speaking, and also because of the numerous stops to cool down and get in contact with the people.
Erg Chebbi & Ait Benhedou tour itinerary : 3 day 2 Night Trip
Day 1 :
We Depart from Marrakech at 08h in a modern, air conditioned transportation. We travel over the Atlas mountains, enjoying the magnificent views of the surrounding countryside below and we visit the Kasbah of Ait Benhaddou. This journey takes approx 3h. From there, after our break, we continue to Ouarzazate (approx 1 hour or so) for lunch break & Sightseeing. Lunch is available in the local cafe’s. After lunch, we continue along the route of The Dades Valley to reach our guesthouse where we will stay for the night. The guesthouse offers Private ensuite rooms and an evening meal and breakfast are included.
Day 2 :
The next morning we continue along the Dades valley, visiting Dades Gorge, Todra, Todra Gorge and other interesting sites, making our way to Merzouga. At Merzouga we explore the village and meet our Camels who will take us for 1 and a half hours into the Dunes to reach our desert camp at Erg Chebbi. Each person rides their own Camel. The Camel trek is usually just prior to sunset, so that you may enjoy the sun setting over the landscape from the top of the Dunes. Once we arrive at the Desert camp, we are greeted with a cup of delicious hot minty tea and we spend the evening under the stars, on the dunes and beside the warmth of the fireside. We enjoy a locally cooked meal of Tagine or couscous (vegetarians are catered for with vegetable tagine), a drum party and story swapping. The camp has toilet facilities. Those that wish to can sleep directly under the stars, but there are Bivouacs for everyone. The stars in the desert are a great opportunity to see as their are no artificial lights around and you can fully appreciate the glory of the skies above.
Day 3 :
Wake up early , just prior to sunrise, we have a 1h30 camel ride at sunrise to explore the area further and we head back to Merzouga on our Camels. When we reach Merzouga, have breakfast & have the opportunity to shower and then we begin our journey through the stony desert and over the Atlas Mountains, with plenty of stops for photos, exploring and lunch as we return to Marrakech. The usual arrival time in Marrakech is between 18:00hrs and 19:00hrs.
- All food on trek, including plates, cups, utensils.
- All ground transport required to and from the trek.
- Services of an English speaking, qualified Local Guide.
- All Accommodation during the Trek (Campsites & Guest House and hotels ).
- Portages (Cook and Camels and Porters).
- Hôtels or riads with breakfast
- Soft Drinks (Fanta,Coca,water,…)
- Personal travel insurance .
- Personal equipments (Sleeping bags,walking shoes ,…)
- Tip for the guide and cook and driver and Muleteers
- Prices quoted are per person, based on sharing a twin room/2 person tent (unless otherwise stated). Additional hotel or riad nights after trek from 25 EUR p.p. twin/35 EUR single.
- Trek prices may vary depending of the season (High altitude Treks).
NOTE ABOUT PAYMENT
- Payment : can be done in € / $ / £ or MAD
Price par person
2 – 4 People 285 € Per Person
5 – 10 People 200 € Per Person